What is worth seeing?

The Regional Museum (Marshall J. Piłsudski square) was opened to public in 1981. There are collections connected with history and natural environment of Kutno and the region about archeology, history, art, ethnology, nature and military. Since 1981 the residence of The Regional Museum is Town Hall which has been built in the classicist style from 1842 to 1845 on the grounds which Feliks Mniewski had given.

General overhaul of outside elevation had been restored by the Henryk Siudera from June to December 2001 and restored to former clasicicst style.

Permanent expositions:

  • "Eclectic interiors" – dr A.Troczewski willa,
  • "The Generall J. Haller room".

Archeological section: gather objects according to the research that are conducted on Kutno city, province area and supervision materials. The oldest findings comes from stone age and at the turn of the bronze age.Unique in Poland holocaust cemetary with urn and pit graves dated on III/II b.c to II/III a.d. is located at the area of Kutno city on Łąkoszyn district.

Historical section: documents city past. Beside photos and documents showing history of Kutno families, industry, trade and craft activity of organisations and culture-social-sports associations. Most of the exhibitions are maps and plans of Kutno and Kutno district. Section gathers also exhibits related to the Jewish rituals and culture.

Arts Section: has in it`s collections relics of handicraft, works of polish artists, painters creating in the past and nowadays and modern professional and unprofessional plastic artists of Kutno.

Ethnographic section: realises program of image of Kutno land society emphasizes it`s specification resulting from rich material and spiritual culture with strong folk accents (location of city at the border of łęczycki, łowicki and kujawski region). Amidst gathered objects particulary place is taken by collection of sculpture by modern folk craft creators.

Nature section: is conducting nature research and collecting of exhibits that documents it`s particular elements. In the collections of nature section are exhibits in the range of geology,fauna and flora of Kutno city and Kutno land.

Kutno Regional Museum has also departament - Museum of The Battle of The Bzura river which came into being in 1969.

Open:

  • everyday, except mondays and after holidays from 10am to 18pm,
  • ticket prizes: normal - 5pln, discount 2,5 pln,
  • for organised groups, over 10 people charge for tour guide is included in the prize of ticket. Please submit the group earlier by phone.
  • classes and museum prelections: 2,5 pln for each person.


Museum of the Battle of teh Bzura River - (departament of Regional Museum, Wiosny Ludów park) - is located in the building of classicistic mausoleum rised in 1840 as a grave chapel for the then owners of Kutno - Walentyna of Gliszczyńscy and Feliks Mniewski. After redecoration of building that has been made during 1967 to 1969 in 1969 Museum of the Battle of the Bzura river. It is an rotunda that is biulding on the plan of circle with entrance in the form of portico, covered dome with lantern. Interior is decorated with a classicistic stucco. Object is a part of the palace complex that includes nearby late baroque palace.

Museal exposition shows course of dramatic fights that took place near Bzura river by polish units commanded by division general Tadeusz Kutrzeba. Collected mementos, photos, weapon elements, uniforms are documenting biggest battle of the September Campaign in 1939.

Open:

  • everyday, except mondays and after holidays from 10am to 18pm,
  • ticket prizes: normal - 5pln, discount 2,5 pln,
  • for organised groups, over 10 people charge for tour guide is included in the prize of ticket. Please submit the group earlier by phone.
  • classes and museum prelections: 2,5 pln for each person.


The Museum of Period Interiors at Oporów (14 km from Kutno) in a Gothic castle erected in the years 1434 - 1449. The edifice is situated at a man-made isle, surrounded with a moat. In spite of many renovations the castle has not been deprived of its historical style. A prevailing part of the decorations comes from the Baroque. Plentiful collections of paintings, military accessories and chinaware have been gathered in the museum. It is notable that in the 1640's Rev. Augustyn Kordecki, the future famous defender of Jasna Góra who was in such a vivid way depicted by Henryk Sienkiewicz in "The Deluge", resided at Oporów.


The Gierałty palace complex in the Wiosny Ludów park, built in Rococo style in 1775 - 1791, used to be the seat of former owners of the city. Many eminent personalities were hosted there, such as Napoleon Bonaparte (twice), the Prussian king Frederick August, Henryk Sienkiewicz and Charles de Gaulle who stayed there as a young captain on diplomatic mission to Poland in 1920. In the park near the palace complex there is a former chapel - family mausoleum of the Rzędkowski and Mniewski family (photo 36) from the first half of the 19th century, built in the Neo-Renaissance style. Now it houses the Museum of Battle of the Bzura River.


The Saxon palace (the house "Under the Crown") is a former post estate of king August III from 1751, built in the so-called "Prussian wall" method. It is the oldest monument of architecture in Kutno.


A farm granary (Bema street) from the 18th century, later rebuilt to be used as barracks.


St. Lawrence's church erected in the Neo-Gothic style towards the end of the 19th century. This magnificent edifice, towering in the center of the city, consists of three aisles. There is an interesting altar dedicated to the patron of the church. There are also commemorative plaques on the walls inside, naming priests who used to work there, being generous with efforts for the sake of their parish. The church was built on the site of its predecessor, having the interior partially decorated with what remained of the old one.


The Old Town of Kutno embraces two market squares joined with Królewska street. Traces of the medieval municipal arrangement with the old market place (Wolności Square), the church and tile-stove makers' market (Zduńska and Teatralna streets) have been visible up until now. Some of the tenement houses at Królewska street date back to the 18th century. The present buildings in the new market square and Królewska street were erected in the first half of the 19th century. Certain tenements have still preserved their stucco decorations and original shapes, thus composing a rare and valuable architectural structure from the period of the Kingdom of Poland.


The Hotel and Inn, the so-called "Nowa oberża" on 2 Sienkiewicz St, makes the most interesting example of the classicistic architecture of Kutno. It is an impressive two-story building, decorated with pilasters and axial projection crowned with a tympanum. The provisional government had its seat here during the early days of the January Uprising in 1863.


Other monuments of historical architecture which are: a larch manor house with column porch from the first half of the 19th century (Narutowicza street), the manor house of Szomański family from the end of the 18th century, moved from the farm at Gnojno in 1887 (Kościuszki street), the building of a former inn called "Wygoda" from the 18th century (Toruńska street) and the former theater (Rynek Zduński). The oldest part of the municipal cemetery, with oldest gravestones from the half of the 19th century, is also worth visiting (Cmentarna street).